Thursday, February 3, 2011

Get Happy, Eat Cake

Forget your troubles, c'mon, get happy
You better chase all your cares away.
❧ Judy Garland as Jane Falbury in Summer Stock

It has snowed here.  A lot.  I love snow and today was absolutely gorgeous, but sometimes winter starts to feel long and when I need to get happy quick the only thing to do is bake something tasty.

Today I made a small adaptation to a recipe called "Granny Cake," and I think I came up with something quite yummy so, dearest folks, I am sharing the recipe with you.

Sarah's Granny Cake a.k.a  Savanna Banana Cake

Ingredients:
¾ C. butter
3 Large Eggs
6 Ripe Bananas (I mean ripe like, left-in-your-freezer-for-3-months-because-you-had-no-idea-what-else-to-use-them-for-and-now-you-have-22-bananas-in-your-freezer ripe)
½ can (about 8 oz.) Peaches, drained
1 tsp. Vanilla
3 C. Flour
2 C. Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Nutmeg (fresh ground, if possible)
½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Ground Cloves
1 C. Chopped Walnuts 
Powdered Sugar for dusting

Special Tools:
1 Bundt Pan
Electric mixer

  • Bring eggs and butter to room temperature (leave out on the counter for about half an hour)
  • Preheat oven to 325°
  • Grease and flour your bundt pan and set aside 
  •  Beat butter in your electric mixer until it is light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, to butter and continue to beat with mixer. 
  • Add peaches, bananas, and vanilla to egg and butter mix.  
  • In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (excluding nuts and powdered sugar)
  • Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into butter mix until you batter is mostly smooth (it should look like a quick-bread batter)
  • Fold in chopped walnuts
  • Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake for 70-80 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. 
  • Let cake cool for at least 10 minutes before inverting it onto a fancy plate
  • Dust cake with powdered sugar and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. It's like you have a window into my soul, Sarah. Or a window into my freezer. I'm infamous for my over-ripe bananas! Thanks for this yummy recipe! xoxo

    ReplyDelete